Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's a good day to be a mom

Apparently SOME people are getting bored with my blog. It has been a busy couple of weeks with sick kiddos, jury duty, cannery duty, yada, yada, yada. But amidst all of the busyness it has been a good week to be a mom. I'm really stretching it on the pictures here, they are a little old, but they KIND OF go with the stories.
**************************************
This is a picture from last Easter, I could not get Tyler to smile for even one picture. I kept telling him that he would live to regret it because this picture would be on my calendar and on his grandparents calendars, and now blogs, to remember forever. In his defense, we had 8:00 church for MANY years, and we were all tired of it. But... ever since he turned 12 last July he has been such a WONDERFUL example for our entire family. (and finally in November our church time changed) He is encouraging everyone to get ready on time and be to church 20-30 minutes early so that he can pass the sacrament. He is already such an incredible boy and I am so proud of the way that he honors his priesthood. He is always so excited to take part in all of the activities whether it be mutual, campouts, service projects, putting chairs away, anything, and I LOVE that he is being such a good example to his brothers and sister.
So, contrary to the face. he is a VERY happy boy.
Now for the exciting part:
Today he was able to go inside the temple for the first time. Not only that but he got up at 3:30 am so that he could get ready in time to be at the church by 4:30 am. He looked so handsome and he had a wonderful time. He was on cloud nine when he got home. It is SO rewarding to see my kids WANT to be good and take part in things that are so important to me.
************************************
Then, there is my dear, sweet Connor. He was one of the sick kiddos that I was talking about, so he didn't go to pre-school at all last week. We spent a lot of time together watching movies, doing puzzles, doing laundry and reading out of the friend. No bubbles this time, but I love this picture of him, it really shows his sweet side, and he does LOVE bubbles.
I was reading him a story from the Friend about a little girl that was cornered by a bear and narrowly escaped after saying a quick prayer and listening to the Holy Ghost. At the end of the story, with tears in his eyes, he said: "Mom, that story almost made me cry!" We talked for a little while about how to listen for the Holy Ghost all of the time, and I told him a story from my life. A couple of hours later he came over to me in the kitchen and said, "Mom, I was almost to climb up the shelves in the pantry, but the Holy Ghost told me not to and I didn't get hurt!" "Can you get me a fruit roll up?" He was so excited that he had listened and been kept safe. Now in the past week he has had several experiences like this to tell me about and I am so thankful that at an early age he is looking for that kind of guidance in his life all of the time.
It's like a mommy pay day.
Maybe they do listen to what I say? Every once in a while.

11 comments:

Jacque said...

Wow, does that bring back memories. I love Mommy "Pay-Days"! And....I still get them! So all the hard work does pay off eventually! It's great that your oldest wants to be such a good example to all the rest.This is the good stuff!

Lolo said...

Love the picture of tyler! I'd be frowning too if my church was at 8am. Haha! Concon is so sweet and funny. =D I love sweet little kid stories!

Jill Ison said...

what sweet little stories. I'm still waiting for the day that my kids give me a "payday" that will be cause to celebrate. Hooray for No more 8 am church. that is the PITTS!

Heather said...

We do need to savor those "payday" moments!
Cute pics of the boys, love the bubbles!

Eric and Breanna Graham said...

Ok Clearly it's time to get the Friend. I'm lame and keep meaning to order it but have never got around to it. It is now at the top of my to-do list!

Staceygirl said...

Your post gave me hope for more paydays in the future. Sometimes I just wonder if anything is sinking in. I know when I was a teen, I wouldn't let on that my parents' teachings were sinking in, but they were, so I think we have a greater effect than we even know.

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

yay for pay days! That rocks. Nothing is sinking in for Kylee it seems but when she clasps her hands together for just a second while we pray, I know we're getting somewhere!

5 Frogs and a Princess said...

Wendy what sweet stories...I'm still kinda new to this mommy hting but there is nothing like the "paydays". I love how innocent and sincere kids are, helps me keep things in perspective and on track!

Michelle said...

That is a very good day to be a mom! You have good kids - but that is because they have such a great mom!

Connie said...

What precious children and tender moments! Looking back, there is nothing better than being a mommy--especially when your kiddies are happy and making happy choices. Way to go, Tyler!! Being a Grammy is pretty rewarding, too. You have BEAUTIFUL children, Wendy!

Varney Family said...

Wow! You've had a busy week. It's fun to able to be MOM sometimes and not have too many other things pulling us in every direction. It doesn't matter if the pictures are old,only that they are posted. :)