Friday, March 6, 2009

You win some, You lose some

Let it be known that my mom & I are MAJOR losers. I know it sounds mean, but seriously, we both know it is true, we are what you would call UNLUCKY. We can't win ANYTHING, EVER, unless it's the kind of winning where you get something gross in your food, my mom always wins that. For example, we went to a painting class together once and there was a group of about 15 people and everyone EXCEPT 2 people won a prize, guess who the 2 people were? How is that even possible. I know this is a sad story, but you need to fully grasp the enourmousness of our extreme loserness to appreciate what follows below.

So last week my neighboor invited me to go to Bunco that night. Because I jump at any chance to get away and hang with the girls I agreed to go, plus I love playing Bunco, it is a lot of fun. I used to be in a group, about 2 kids ago, that got together once a month and we had so much fun. Since then (8 years ago) I have probably played twice. During this time the only reason that I ever got a prize was because EVERYONE got a prize. Even when there was a prize for the biggest loser (lowest score) or something I couldn't quite get that because that would be too close to winning, and the universe can not allow that.

Well, low and behold, I won, and not just a little, I won the GRAND PRIZE!!! Rediculous.

Then I had Jury Duty last week, I have been dreading it for a month. I had my mom drive all the way down from South Flagstaff, where she lives, to watch Connor for me. I had my Nintendo DS ready to go and I was feeling semi lucky (for me, it is relative) because I got called to the Mesa court and didn't have to drive all the way into Phoenix. So it's the night before and I call to find out what time I have to report and it says "Group 2000 has been excused from Jury Duty, your obligation has been met, all others report to the court at 7:00 am" Guess what group I was in, 2000. I thought, Nah, I must have called too early, this must be todays message. I called back a while later and I heard the same thing. I called back a 3rd time on speakerphone to have my mom & Tyler listen to be sure that I wasn't hallucinating and they heard it too.

I didn't have to go at all!!!! If that is not a winner I don't know what is. Now all I need to do is win the Albertson's pay my mortage off sweepstakes and I am good to go.

So after all of that winning, there was of course some losing.

It was Pinewood Derby time again, and try as we might, this has never been our best event. We have made fancy looking cars, sleek looking cars, fast "looking" cars, but never the winning kind of cars. This year we had a simple looking car, due to the lack of time.I always feel so bad too, mostly for Jason, because he tries so hard to help his little boys win the race. He polishes axles and uses fancy tools to get everything aligned correctly, but alas, the blue ribbon is never ours.
I think Dylan only has 1 more Pinewood Derby in him and then we should get a break for a couple of years until Connor starts it up. Maybe by then luck will be on our side.




8 comments:

Jacque said...

The flat tire award was always awarded to one of our boys....never failed! Seriously! I have had winning streaks and losing streaks, and I really enjoy the winning streaks...I'm about due for another one of those! I went and played bunco w/Steff and her friends the other night,(they invited their Moms!)and I lost in 3 catigories.... Hey, maybe we should start a family bunco club.....I'm game! Then at least we could see each other once in awhile!

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

you are so funny. so, b/c I did have to go to jury duty IN Phoenix last week, am I the loser? :) Then we got evacuated and got pushed back even more to see the judge. Good times, I think that is a losing quality for sure. That's great you won in bunco, I hope you win the Albertson's monopoly game! Dylan was cute with his joke at least, he won with the best joke!

Connie said...

Sounds like a WIN to me, not to have to go to jury duty--especially to Phoenix! Last time I got called to jury duty in Phoenix, I lost my car. I was sure it had been stolen! I walked and walked and walked all over different levels of the parking garage trying to find it.... Talk about a loser! I was in a state of panic, when finally, I found it. Boy did I feel stupid!

And it sounds like your boys are actually the "real" winners, to have a Dad who will help them with their cars. I can't count the boys that John had to help when he was a Cub Scout leader--boys who's Dad's wouldn't help them at all...or who didn't even have Dads.

Jill Ison said...

i did know that you mom always won the disgusting thing in her food... mostly because I always win that game at my family's table to so we can totally relate... although some time I think maybe other people win at that but just didn't notice because they ate their prize...hehe. i like to think that sometimes. Other than that im not winner that for sure. Im rooting for you to win that pay your mortgage off thing. that sounds great!

Staceygirl said...

Everyone except two people... hahahaha. I thought I was pretty unlucky in 3rd grade when we drew speaking parts for a play we were reading, and I drew the part of Broadfoot (who was kinda like Quasi Moto). But then when something went wrong and we had to draw again, I was so relieved... until I drew Broadfoot again. What are the chances, right? I think the pinewood derby thing is a fluke. We let Kyle design and build his own car, and he got second. Will built his own funky lookin' truck and got 4th. Maybe Jason is the problem... hehe. j/k

Karen said...

I LOVE the last picture! (and how fun that I just saw Kamerin in your post)! We were never so good with the cars either. I guess March is your lucky month!

Lolo said...

Awww! I never win either come to think of it. I had a good laugh at the two losers of the painting group, thats so mean that they'd have prizes for all but two! At least you had a lucky streak. =)

Michelle said...

Yeah! What was the grand prize that you won? When did your parents move to Flagstaff? I hope they are liking it there. And how fabulous to get out of Jury Duty! Good luck next year with pinewood derby. Dallin turns 8 this year so we will start MANY years of making cars!