Saturday, March 21, 2009

It's too hot out here!

So, it was a balmy 87 degrees or something here yesterday. I know that everyone in the snow is cursing us right now. We decided to take the kids to the wind caves at Usery Pass for a hike. It was a beautiful day, but the kids kept complaining that it was too hot, I couldn't believe it! Do they have short term memory loss? It is going to get so much worse. Here they are trudging along the path. It was a little slow going at first because Connor had to climb every rock that we passed. He says that we should call him "Connor the rock climber"
The only problem with dessert hikes is that there really is no shade to rest in. Here are all the kids huddled in the shade of a large rock. Somehow I kept Connor the rock climber off of this one. And Tyler must be taking a nap.


This picture is near the top (of our hike), as you can tell, Ashley is pretty well finished with this little family outing. It is hard when their little legs have to take at least twice as many steps. Since they had already chugged most of their water we decided to head back early. Sometime I need to go with the big kids and get all the way to the top. Dylan was the MVP this trip, I don't think I heard him complain one time, which for Dylan is really saying something. I think we may have even gone the whole day without hearing "It's the worst day EVER" from him, Could it be?

Connor kept turning around and saying. "Mom, you can see the whole world from up here!"

It was a nice nature hike too, we saw quite a few lizzards or "echoes" as Connor called them. There were quite a few blooms out too, so we stopped to take this picture of a beautiful girl next to a beautiful cactus in bloom.

Here is a closer look.

And what Jones family trip would be complete without stopping at Bahama Bucks. While waiting for the various shave ices the kids tried out the swinging ring on the hook game. I must admit, they are much better at it than I am.

And finally, cooling off with a shave ice. I don't think that the picture shows the "shave ice caves" that they like to carve out of the top mound. It's all fun and games until it collapses. I think all in all they had a fun day, but next time we will start earlier in the morning when it is a little cooler and the kids are a little fresher.


13 comments:

Jacque said...

Good times.....Good memories! What a fun thing to do with the kids, they'll talk about it for years to come....you'll see!

Connie said...

Looks like a great day with the kids...they are so cute! Next time, let someone take a picture of you, too Wendy. I worked in the yard most this hot day and shaved ice really sounds gooood!

Lolo said...

That looks like fun! I miss hiking so much, not the being super sweaty and burning butt and legs part but just being out in the desert in nature. Im a little jealous of the hike and the bahama bucks, I could really go for a wavebender.

Heather said...

It's a great time of the year for hiking. We took the kids up to Hieroglyphic Canyon last week and they had lots of fun. It's an easy hike but it was definitely WARM. I like the shaved ice idea. I'll have to remember that for next time.

Heather said...

Nice way to end a HOT hike! I am afraid to say that hiking is about OVER for us here! It is just getting too dang hot, too fast!

Michelle said...

Sounds like a fun day! And it sounds like my kids - it was 70 on Friday and Saturday and after being outside for maybe 5 minutes, they all came in complaining that it was way too hot! I guess when it snowed the week before (highs in the 30s), that 70 is pretty hot. Of course today, it is cold again! Gotta love Utah!

Glad you had fun!

Staceygirl said...

We had a few days in the 60's while you guys had that little heat wave. We had snow this morning, though, and it will be a few days until we're back in the 60's. I see you guys are cooler now, too. I LOVE desert hikes. The one I have wanted to do again is flat iron in the Superstitions, but Russ has weak knees, so I have to find someone else to do it with. It's a pretty hard 5 hour hike, but it's an awesome feeling to get to the top. I miss the wildflowers in bloom. I'm sad that we won't be there in time to enjoy them this year. Next year, though!

Varney Family said...

Now that looks like fun! And you managed to have a hike where no one got hurt! Great pictures :)

5 Frogs and a Princess said...

What I wouldn't give for tose temperatures!!!!! I thought that we were done with winter since 2 days in a row it was 13 degress C (not sure what that is F)however that was short lived as we had a huge snow dump Sat night (2 ft)...I'm so ready to be HOT! The hike pics are so fun...we love hikes too, great family memories!

Kelly said...

I am getting excited for it to warm up here so I can go hiking. It was so good to see you guys too! I miss my family mucho!

Jill Ison said...

mmmmmm bahama bucks! Yum yum!

I really miss hiking. What a bunch of troopers. my kids are all boobers :)

maybe if I took them more often they get used to it??? hmmmm...

im so jealous.

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

I don't like the heat, I guess I'm a kid. :) If there is no breeze, then it is pretty miserable. I'm a sweaty gal though. Bahama Bucks was sure fun though, I'm sure they loved that. I love that place.

Jadyn Maree said...

How FUN!! Your family is so cute, and it looks like you had some fun! The picture with Connor climbing over the rocks cracked me up.