Monday, January 19, 2009

Remind me about this the next time I say...

that nothing ever goes right. I told my mom that we need to start writing good things down because things MUST go right and/or smoothly SOME of the time right?

So, there was news of some break-ins in my neighborhood, and I am a natural scaredy cat when it comes to staying home alone when Jason's out of town (well, as alone as a mom of 4 gets). Luckily his traveling has slowed WAY down, but alas they needed him to go out of town for one night. So what do I do? I sleep with my cell phone under my pillow, that will save me right? And Connor sleeps in my bed with me. (I was lucky this night, there was only one kid in there) Well, in the morning Connor tells me that he wet the bed a little. But not to worry, we have a waterproof pad for just this reason. So I scoop up the sheets and throw them in the washer 1st thing. They are white (or are supposed to be) so I put them on the whitest whites setting which is 2 hours long, with bleach, I really went the extra mile today. Then I go to switch the laundry to the dryer and what to wondering eyes should appear? What is that in my washer? A receipt or a tag or something?

Oh no! It's the back & the battery to my cell phone. That can't be good. Let me just say that I have not had good luck with cell phones. Some have just broken, Connor dropped one SEVERAL times, one got orange soda spilled onto it while it was in my purse under a table at a restaurant. It is bad news, but I have had this one for over a year, I was doing so well. Here is the scene of the crime. You could actually see the water sloshing around behind the screen, good times.


But I have faith in my sweet little phone. I left it on the TV to dry out for a few days. Then I searched my predicament on the internet (along with 300,000 other people, I am not the first person to do this) and discovered a person who said to put it in the refrigerator until it dried out, he had just seen it on the news. Hey, what have I got to lose? Nothing, I can't even buy my phone at the store any more, and I loved my little white phone, I think I shall call her Trusty from now on. Anyway, a week later I pulled it out of the refrigerator and low and behold........

IT WORKED!!!!

Can you even believe your eyes? My cute picture of my kids, my phone book, everything was there. Am I the luckiest girl alive or what?




13 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, you are a lucky lady! That is interesting. Good you did your research.
I have a hard time being home alone too!

Jill Ison said...

that is so cool. Now we can go shopping whilst leaving the kids home alone! Yay!!

I dropped my phone in the mop bucket once... my dad said that if you let it dry out completely before attempting to power up it will work just fine and so far he's been right on that! I don't know what part the fridge plays in that but I'm game for trying stuff like that!

Jacque said...

UNBELIEVEABLE!!!I dropped mine into the water during a pedicure once! We opened it up and dried off the chip, and it worked, but to go through a wash like that....it's a miracle, that's all!

Lolo said...

WOW!!! Thats so amazing!! I need to remember that because I leave mine in my pocket and when I use the bathroom it flies out just barely missing the toilet....not sure I want it to work after that though, eew...nevermind.

Michelle said...

Wow - that is amazing! My husband has jumped into Lake Powell with his cell phone and then a month later jumped into the ocean in Hawaii with his - I will have to remember the frig trick!

Connie said...

You've got to be kidding me! So glad for your good luck!

Varney Family said...

I can't believe that worked!! AND someone posted it online for you to find :) You are way lucky!

Kelly said...

Who would've thought? The refrigerator? I wonder who tried that and figured that out. I am glad it worked though. That is crazy!

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

Yay, it works! That is awesome. The internet rocks!

Karen said...

I am still AMAZED! And so happy for you!

Karen said...

BTW, I sure like your music selections. I put it on for background music the other day and your Dad asked what collection it was. He thinks it is a very eclectic mix too. hee hee hee

Staceygirl said...

I don't like being home alone, either. I think I watched too much FBI Files, and so as I'm sleeping with my cell phone, I'm thinking, "No one can cut my cell phone line... ha ha ha!"

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

but they could use a cell phone jammer Stacey! Oh wait, I shouldn't have said that. :) Oh yeah, and I was so excited about your phone working that I needed to change my pants. That was for Stace