$75 .................................................NOPE
$100..............................................GUESS AGAIN
$200..............................................YOU WISH
$225 buckaroonies. $100 for the cake and $125 for the Fed-Ex Overnight Priority Shipping.
I know, I know, you don't believe me, so here is the web site, check it out if you dare: http://www.peninsulagrill.com/coconut.asp
Wow, do people really do that? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful cake, but I'd rather send my kids to college or at least fill up my gas tank...........twice??!!??
So, we find the recipe on martha stewarts website and decide to give it a try. We halfed the recipe so that we wouldn't have to eat 12 pounds of cake. We should have known by the length and number of steps in the recipe that this was a bad idea. It pretty much took all day to make all of the different parts and let things cool, chill, etc.... And finally we were finished (1/2 as tall of course, only 3 layers instead of 6) So how was it?........................................ Well, we won't ever make it again. I think it looked really pretty and if we hadn't eaten so much of each of the steps we might not have been passed out and sick by the time the cake was done. It is VERY sweet, and VERY rich and VERY coconutty (is that a word?) But, at least our bank account wasn't as sick as we were. That would have been the ULTIMATE sadness, to spend that kind of money on a cake and not even like it that much. Honestly we could have just about flown to South Carolina and tried the real thing for the same price.





7 comments:
getting in to the cake biz eh? You guys are awesome! I know what you mean about getting sick off it before its done. I don't really like cake all that much anymore. especially if i made it. Just the smell of it for hours ruins it for me!
Your cake turned out pretty good, it looks yummy. I can't imagine people would have a cake fed ex'd to their house for that price, what a waste! I hate watching food shows, I always want to reach through the TV and take a bite.
LOL, well it really is pretty! Of course with coconut it is no tempation to me at all, luckily. Too much work. I guess I'm a lazy cook - 5 ingredients or less and 30 minutes prep time. Yeah, that's my style.
I guess if you have a few hundred dollars to throw around it would be a good idea!! YUM. I bet your cake tasted just as good, it looked as good. I am not the best cook, maybe I should watch the food channel more often and be inspired!
You should give some to your mom, I bet she'd love it. That is disgusting that it costs that much. you guys did a great job. Wish I could taste some. I love sweets. :)
If something takes mor than an hour to make, I toss out the recipe. You're so ambitious. Hopefully it tasted as good as it looks
I love the way toasted coconut looks and tastes! I'm glad you made it first, though, so I don't have to now.;) I've always wondered what coconut cake tastes like. I watched the Pie Challenge the other night and have had pie on the mind (and stomache) for a couple of days now. I should just make it and get it over with.
Post a Comment